http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7059351.stm
After oil was first discovered in Nigeria in the early 20th century, I think it was around 1937 in Oloibiri. Nigeria has generated hundred of billions if not trillions of dollars from this scarce and very limited resource.
Companies like Shell and Mobil have enjoyed the spoils of producing Nigerias light sweet crude (so called because of the low sulphur content) which cost less than a dollar to produce a barrel. This has led to large multinational oil companies posting large profits and making money for shareholders in rich western nations while the indigenes of the Niger Delta wallow in abject poverty.
Having lived in Warri while working with one of these foreign oil companies, I saw first hand how the local people are treated with utter contempt. These poor villagers who have been let down by their government (local, state and federal) have over the years seen their source of livelihood polluted and destroyed by Oil Companies operating in these areas.
While I do not support or cordone violence its easy to see why groups like MEND and other factions have taken up arms to fight the system that lets the wanton exploitation of Niger Delta go unchecked. A system that has raped, pillaged and wrecked the lives of over 7 million people that live in the area while making billions and billions for themselves.
These oil companies usually hide behind the excuse that they pay the government taxes and also do what they can to help the community. Well anyone that has followed issues related to corporate pollution in some pig farms in America will know that these Multinationals are not doing enough.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the Niger Delta is inhabited by dark skinned Africans? Please note that I am not playing the race card but I know for a fact that the current situation in the Niger Delta does not exist anywhere else where these oil companies produce.
It is important to remind these Multinationals that they owe a duty of care to these communities and must ensure that they preserve the environment and pay restituition for destroying the way of life of these once proud people.
As for the Nigerian government, over the years the criminals among them have looted and stolen (especially NNPC and the Presidents that changed the ministry of Petroleum into the Presidency) billions while tens of thousands of innocent people have died in the Niger Delta as a result of a lack of basic social infrastruture and environmental pollution.
If I where MEND, MOSSOP and the rest , I would file a class action against these multinationals in US and UK courts demanding compensation for the environmental damage done.
I hope this government understands that the issue of the Niger Delta is important to the stability of Nigeria. Until, the people in the Niger Delta begin to see proper benefits of their resources, people would continue to die and be killed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment