
After reading the article by Ojo Madueke I am a bit baffled. I do not understand what he means by "retaliatory" in his statement.
If nationals in a certain country are more prone to commit fraud or smuggle drugs than other nationals, it is human nature to label nationals of the offending country as criminal.
If it is open knowledge that Government officials are corrupt then why should we get vexed when people say that we are corrupt. It is not enough to say that because 90% of the population (and I doubt if it is that high) are honest law abiding citizens, the 10% bad eggs should not be allowed to destroy the image of the rest.
Corruption permeates every single aspect of Nigerian life. Police takes bribe, government officials loot and clerks in Instituitions all over want bribe before they do what they are paid to do.
I understand and can relate with him when he says that "corruption has a black face" but I do not sympathise with him. Until the government is seen to fight all forms of corruption no matter your station in life, I am afraid that Nigerians including myself would continue to be stigmatised and labelled by the same brush.
No comments:
Post a Comment